Honey Ginger Spicy Chili Tofu
Crispy cubes of tofu are sautéed in a sweet, spicy and fragrant sauce
- 24 oz. extra firm silken tofu, drained, cut in ½ ” pieces and drained
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 two eggs, beaten
- Peanut or Canola oil for deep frying
- 1 T. finely chopped garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced into 2 inch sticks (or 1 cup long beans cut into 2 inch pieces)
- 1 T. fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 scallion stalks, chopped
- 2 T. Belcour Honey Ginger Pepper Sauce
- 2/3 cup vegetable broth
- 2 t. cornstarch, mixed with 1 T. cold water to make a paste
- 2 T. Lee Kum Kee Chili bean sauce
- 2 t. vinegar
- 2 T. dry white wine
- 1 T. lime, lemon or orange juice
- 2 T. soy sauce (or tamari sauce)
- 2 T. brown sugar
- 1 ½ T. sesame oil
- 1 T. cilantro leaves, finely chopped – optional
- Wok or large frying pan
More recipes with:
- Cut tofu into cubes ans drain on paper towels. Pat dry the tofu cubes to remove excess liquid.
- Fill a wok to about ¼ way up with oil and heat to 375 degrees F. Add two garlic cloves to flavour the oil and discard when brown.
- When the oil is shimmering, dust tofu cubes in corn starch/flour and dredge with egg mixture. Fry the tofu in batches until just brown on both sides. Do not put them too close together or they will steam.
- Use a slotted spoon and remove them from the hot oil. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Sauté the bell peppers, carrots or long beans for a couple of minutes and set aside.
- Turn the heat down to medium and sauté the garlic cloves, scallion and ginger until soft.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and add to the sautéed ginger, scallion and garlic. Simmer for a couple of minutes to meld the flavours.
- Add the tofu and sautéed bell peppers and carrots, tossing carefully so everything is well coated with the sauce.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve with Jasmine white rice.