Honey Jerk Roast Chicken
Honey Jerk Roast Chicken. A twist on an old standard
- 1 roasting chicken
- 1 medium yellow onion, small diced
- 4 scallions sliced on the bias, white and light green parts
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 T. soy sauce
- 1 T. fresh thyme or rosemary leaves only, finely chopped
- 1 T. fresh basil or parsley, finely chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 t. salt
- ¼ t. black pepper
- vegetable oil
- 1 bottle Belcour Honey Jerk Sauce or 3 T. Belcour Ham Glaze
- 2 T. Honey
- Roasting pan
More recipes with:
- Rinse the chicken and pat it dry. Rub the chicken with scallion, garlic, onion, fresh herbs, salt, soy sauce and one bottle of Belcour Honey Jerk Sauce. Cover and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place chicken in a 9×13” baking dish brushed with oil and a 1 T of honey.
- Cover Chicken with foil and roast for approximately half an hour at 350 degrees. (Irish or Sweet potatoes or any root vegetable can also be roasted along with the chicken to serve with it.
- After half an hour brush the chicken with the remaining 1 T. of honey and return to the oven to continue roasting. Occasionally baste the chicken with the drippings for another half an hour or until completely done or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the meat of the thigh reads 165°F or juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a knife
- Remove the cover for 10 minutes.
- Add a little (1/3 cup broth) to the drippings to make the gravy. Serve with the roasted sweet peppers.
Leftover jerk chicken can be mixed with Mayo to make delicious jerked chicken salad or sandwiches.
Author: Robert Lumsden