Belcour slow-cooked Ham
Our version of traditional, Jamaican Christmas Ham.
This take on a traditional, Jamaican holiday ham uses our Beclour ham glaze, which is made with honey, mustard, cloves and pineapple. 4-5 kg ham takes 4-5 hours to cook and serves about 10 people.
- 4-5kg (10lb) Bone-in, uncooked Ham
- 2 Bottles of Belcour Ham Glaze
- 2 Cans or bottles of lager Beer
- Whole cloves
- 1-2 cans cored pineapple rings
- 1 jar of Maraschino cherries
- Toothpicks if decorating with pineapple
More recipes with:
This type of ham must be soaked according to the butcher’s instructions, to remove the salt
Check the weight of the ham to calculate cooking time using 25 minutes per 500g
- Preheat the oven to 300°F | 150°C.
- After soaking remove and discard all wrapping material, netting from around the ham.
- Line a clean roasting tin or oven proof container with foil or parchment paper and oil it.
- Seal the foil around the edges of the roasting container to tent it.
- Roast ham wrapped for about an hour.
- Unwrap the ham, let cool and then cut off all the skin, leaving a layer of fat (about an inch).
- Score the fat into one-inch diamond pattern. Do not score down to the bone.
- Poor a bottle of beer over the ham.
- Pour a bottle of Belcour Ham Glaze equally distributing the glaze to coat the entire ham.
- Roast for 3 hours, depending on the weight of the ham, basting every 30-45 minutes.
- Remove the ham and pour another bottle of Belcour Ham Glaze.
- Decorate ham with whole cloves by inserting them at the intersections of the score marks. Or decorate pineapple slices and Maraschino cherries, using toothpicks to stick pineapple about the outside of the ham and pinning the cherries in the center of the pineapple rings.
- Return ham to oven and roast for another 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Cut down to the bone to check doneness, juices should be clear and no sign of rawness.
- Let ham rest for 30 minutes before carving.
- Keep all the juices for serving alongside the ham.