A staple Jamaican recipe. Try with Belcour Honey Ginger or Honey Jerk Sauce
- ½ lb. boneless salt cod
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 t. paprika
- 1 scallion, sliced, white, and light green parts only
- 1 Roma tomato, peeled, seeded, and diced
- ½ green sweet pepper, stems and seeds removed and diced
- 1 t. fresh thyme leaves (without stalks), finely chopped
- 2 T. Belcour Honey Mustard Pepper Sauce to taste
- Oil for Frying
No special equipment required.
More recipes with:
- Soak salt cod in water to cover for 6-8 hours or overnight. Drain water and rinse well.
- Place in a saucepan with water to cover and boil for ten minutes or until it soft. Discard the water and flake the fish with your fingers or a fork.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until you have a smooth, thick batter. Adjust salt and pepper if necessary. The batter should be very thick and not runny. You can add more flour if needed.
- Pour about an inch of oil into two large frying pans at the same time over high heat and bring to 350 degrees. (You can test the oil by dropping some batter into the oil. It is ready when bubbles form around the batter. If it browns immediately, your oil is too hot).
- Drop teaspoonfuls of batter into the oil. Turn the fitters, cooking until just golden brown on both sides, and remove. If using a deep fryer allow fritters to float to the top before removing with a slotted spoon.
- Place fritters on a platter with paper towels to soak up any excess oil and cover until ready to serve.
- Serve on a platter with bowls of Belcour Honey Jerk Sauce or Belcour Honey Ginger Pepper Sauce for dipping.