Sweet, marshmallowy meringue paired with tangy, ripe fruit
- 2 cups of Fresh Bombay mangoes or other fresh fruit
- 3 eggs whites
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup fine white sugar
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream, whipped
- 2 cups of custard
- 2 cups of any fresh fruit in season, fruit salad or sliced mangoes
Custard (Pastry Cream)
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 T. cornstarch
- 2 T. fresh mango puree
- ½ t. salt
- 1 T. butter
Electric hand beater
More recipes with:
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with baking parchment paper. Spray on a little Canola oil. Using a stand mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until you have soft peaks. Gradually add in the sugar in small increments and continue beating until you have stiff peaks. Your meringue is ready when you turn the bowl upside down and the meringue doesn’t move.
- Spoon three quarters of the meringue onto the cookie sheet in a circle. Mound the rest of the meringue on the rim of the circle, as if you are building sides. Bake for 1½ hours. Then, without opening the oven, turn the oven off and leave the Pavlova overnight in the oven until it is completely cold. Gently transfer the meringue shell onto a serving dish. The shell will be delicate, yet firm like egg shells.
- For the custard: place the milk and first sugar in a saucepan and simmer until the sugar is beginning to dissolve. While the milk is heating, whisk the egg yolks, the second sugar, salt, vanilla and the cornstarch in a bowl.
- Slowly pour the milk into the bowl with the yolks and other ingredients, whisking the whole time (this is called tempering). Return the custard to the heat and whisk vigorously until it comes to a boil. Turn heat to low and continue to whisk until the pastry cream is thick and smooth. Cool slightly and whisk in the butter. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap touching the top of the custard and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Assemble the Pavlova by gently pouring the cooled custard into the middle then spread the whipped cream over the custard. Spoon the cut-up fruit over the middle of the meringue shell. Serve. Whipped Cream and or Vanilla Ice Cream also are delightful with it.
Leave a Reply