Salt Fish and Mixed Vegetables with Belcour Pepper Sauce
A spicy, umami Jamaican staple
Saltfish and vegetables has got to be one of my favorite lunches and I was certainly not about to give it up to a curious Lizzy. Saltfish is used only to add a little flavor, as you would use anchovies, pancetta or bacon. I love masses of vegetables of every variety sautéed with the saltfish, but the vegetables should remain slightly firm and not spring too much water. It’s an easy recipe, but tricky to get it just right. It’s delectable with boiled dumpling, boiled yam, green bananas, breadfruit or as we say “food”. Naturally I add some Belcour Honey Mustard Pepper Sauce too.
- 2 cups Callaloo, (or spinach) shredded
- 2 cups cabbage, (or bokchoy) shredded
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup okra, (or sting beans) cut in rounds
- ½ lb. boned, salted cod
- 2 whole garlic cloves for flavoring oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- ½ sweet bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 scallions, finely chopped, white and light green parts only
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 T. any fresh thyme
- 1 T. Belcour Honey Mustard Pepper Sauce or fresh Scotch Bonnet pepper – diced
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 T. oyster sauce – optional
- ¼ cup water if necessary
No special equipment required.
More recipes with:
- Place salted cod in a small saucepan with enough cold water to cover. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until the fish begins to flake with a fork. Drain the water and rinse once more with cold water. Flake the fish with a fork or your fingers and reserve while preparing the rest of the dish.
- Heat the oil and 2 crushed garlic cloves in a small saucepan on the stove for five minutes over low heat to flavor the oil. Discard these cloves.
- Pour the warm oil into a large sauté pan and sauté the onion, sweet pepper, herbs, garlic and scallions over medium to high heat until soft and translucent. Add the carrots and sauté for a minute. Then add the flaked salt fish and remaining vegetables. Cook at high heat for 5 minutes, stirring continually. Add oyster sauce, Belcour Honey Mustard pepper sauce, black pepper and butter.