Sweet and Sour Chicken
A Belcour twist on a Chinese classic.
- 1 lb. or ½ kg boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or filet fish)
- 1 T. garlic, chopped finely
- 1 T. fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 scallions, chopped, white, and light green parts only
- 1 red bell sweet pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 T. cornstarch
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 1 T. sesame oil
- 2 T. Belcour Pepper Jam
- 4 T. ketchup
- 4 T. rice wine vinegar
- 2 t. sesame oil
- 1 T. soy sauce
- 2 T. sugar
No special equipment required.
- Slice breast into strips and then into 1-2” cubes. Coat chicken pieces well with beaten egg. Drain off any excess egg and place in a plastic bag that seals (such as Ziplock). Add cornstarch and shake well to evenly coat the chicken.
- Heat oil in a hot sauté pan and lightly crush the garlic cloves and put them in the oil. Turn heat to medium and discard the garlic just as it turns brown. Now you have flavoured the oil. Saute the meat in the same oil over medium-high heat until it is golden brown on each side. Drain on paper towels.
- Add the scallion, ginger, and red pepper to the oil and sauté until softened, approximately 3 minutes. Drain off excess oil and return chicken to pan.
- Whisk together sauce ingredients until emulsified. Pour over chicken and vegetables and heat through.
- Serve with steamed Jasmine rice and stir-fried vegetables.
Author: Belcour Preserves